Twitter -- what is it good for? Absolutely Something! - CenterNetworks - News, Reviews, Insights and Interviews

Twitter -- what is it good for? Absolutely Something! - CenterNetworks - News, Reviews, Insights and Interviews: "Twitter -- what is it good for? Absolutely Something! Posted by Allen Stern, August 4, 2007.

Helge: First I didn't grasp the idea of microblogging. I was too busy maintaining my blogs. I heard about, read about it. Then someone told that Jaiku was great but I didn't want to start sending SMS's. Started Twittering and it's cool and I learn a lot about the people and what they have to say online.

What is Twitter? If you were standing in a bar and a person asked you that question, what would be your response? How would you describe this tool so that a non-geek/nerd/tech can understand. For this discussion let's leave out the API piece. Here is what Twitter says Twitter is: Twitter is a community of friends and strangers from around the world sending updates about moments in their lives. Friends near or far can use Twitter to remain somewhat close while far away. Curious people can make friends. Bloggers can use it as a mini-blogging tool. Developers can use the API to make Twitter tools of their own. Possibilities are endless!

Helge: I just know about a handful of Finnish friends that Twitter. But I guess there will be more. Jaiku is a Finnish version of microblogging and I see more Finns and Europeans over there. However, both are great. Jaiku is more quiet but I reach out to a somewhat different audience. Twitter is more dialogs.

Scoble and his buddies filmed a 'What is Twitter' session over lunch. Here is a partial transcript: Twitter is a microblogging tool where I can only write 140 characters. Each month a few more people I knew joined it. I felt like in November I needed to join it. Your first reaction is that this is really lame. Why would anyone do this. I know a good 40% on my Twitter list. Jeff Pulver says it is adding to the landscape of the web. Amit Shafrir says that he knows everytime that Scoble has a bowel movement. Scoble: Twitter rule #1: don't tell us too much."

Helge: My blogs are long. Maybe nobody reads them. I don't mind. For me the writing itself is a part of the learning process. But have to admit, I learned a lot about writing short and concise messages with Jaiku and Twitter. For me Web 2.0 and Internet has been a huge learning process. I might become a good communicator one day.




Post a Comment

Popular Posts

The Arctic Circle Design Forum

Digital Storytelling

Mexico open for business

Continued Stable Profit Development for Raute