All You Need to Know about Creativity, in 48 Pages - O'Reilly Digital Media Blog

All You Need to Know about Creativity, in 48 Pages - O'Reilly Digital Media Blog: "When I worked in Silicon Valley, I realized after a short while that a big part of my job as a manager amounted to finding ways to help people be creative.

After all, if you have a collection of very smart employees, it’s wasteful to just tell them what to do - they probably know more than you do about the challenge at hand. So I started collecting my own thoughts on the subject, and also looked into a lot of the academic literature (in recent decades a sizable field of creativity studies has grown up).

I guess I shouldn’t have been, but I was struck by the similarity of my personal experience and the research. It appears that many if not most creative people work in roughly the same way. But only recently did I come across a slim, decidedly non-academic volume that, it turns out, pretty much said it all back in the 1940’s: “A Technique for Producing Ideas”, by James Webb Young.

Young was an advertising executive who taught a class at the University of Chicago School of Business. “A Technique for Producing Ideas” is based on his notes for those classes, and derived from his own experience because at the time he could find no references on the subject."
Post a Comment

Popular Posts

The Arctic Circle Design Forum

Digital Storytelling

Mexico open for business

Continued Stable Profit Development for Raute